News Archive Item
Dear Colleague Letter: Stimulating Research on Effective Strategies in Undergrad STEM Ed at 2-Year HSIs
NSF invites proposals that address effective approaches in undergraduate science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) education for students at two-year Hispanic-Serving Institutions (HSIs). This Dear Colleague Letter (DCL), which encourages research on the science of broadening participation and related STEM education areas, is one of two DCLs highlighting funding opportunities focused on students at HSIs in STEM in Fiscal Year 2015.
NSF encourages the submission of proposals for Early Concept Grants for Exploratory Research (EAGER) and Conferences that focus on evidence-based practices that have been shown to be particularly effective for students at HSIs, as well as exploratory research that may lead to new models and best practices. Examples of appropriate topics include:
- Understanding factors that will lead to improved retention of students in STEM programs at two-year HSIs
- Understanding barriers and challenges that prevent the transfer of students at two-year HSIs to four-year colleges; understanding factors that promote the transfer of students including articulation agreements
- Improving the quality of STEM undergraduate academic and research experiences at two-year HSIs
- Research on strategies that enhance interest and motivation of students and improve persistence and graduation rates in undergraduate STEM programs at HSIs through innovations in STEM curricula, instructional materials, and research experiences
- Building capacity at HSIs through collaborations with majority institutions that support faculty research, professional development, and mentoring
- Building capacity at HSIs for successfully competing for federal funding aimed at improving STEM education and research
Proposals for funding in Fiscal Year 2015 must be submitted by June 19, 2015; proposals for funding in Fiscal Year 2016 must be submitted by May 31, 2016.
Funding Level and Award Duration
EAGER: Up to $300,000 and two years duration
Conferences: Up to $50,000
See more on Participating Directorates and Programs and Special Instructions on the NSF site.
Three informational webinars will be held to provide general guidance on EAGER and Conference proposals. For more information or to join a webinar, please use the following links:
- May 11, 2015, 2 p.m. Eastern: https://bluejeans.com/647487561
- May 18, 2015, 2 p.m. Eastern: https://bluejeans.com/458616321
- May 20, 2015, 3 p.m. Eastern: https://bluejeans.com/820621887
If you prefer to call in for audio only, dial: +1-888-240-2560 (US Toll Free) and enter conference ID (the nine-digit # at the end of the URL above).
Joan Ferrini-Mundy, Assistant Director
Directorate for Education and Human Resources